Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive surgery. Many common surgeries can be performed laparoscopically. It has added benefits of saving money, faster recovery, and better patient outcome. First, let us read in detail about laparoscopic surgery and its benefits. Then, you can book an online doctor consultation with a laparoscopic surgeon in Jaipur.
Procedure for Laparoscopic Surgery
Laparoscopic surgery is most commonly used to diagnose and treat gynaecological, gastrointestinal, and urologic conditions. A laparoscope is a skinny rod with a camera used during laparoscopic surgery. In this surgery, tiny keyhole incisions are made to visualise the abdominal cavity and the pelvis region. If you’re opting for laparoscopic surgery due to gynaecological problems then before surgery consult a gynaecologist in Jaipur.
Before the Surgery Begins
- You will be given a gown to change into when you reach the hospital. Then, a medical practitioner will check your vital signs and other things like a blood test or imaging test if necessary.
- Once the test is done, you will be moved to the operating room to administer fluids and anaesthesia, and an intravenous (IV) line will be administered to a vein in your arm.
- The anaesthesia will prevent you from feeling pain and put you to sleep. Further, a breathing tube will be inserted into your throat to keep your airways open.
A Laparoscopic Surgeon in Jaipur will Follow these Steps During the Procedure
- First, the doctor will make a tiny incision close to your stomach or pelvic bone. This incision is utilised to transport carbon dioxide gas into your abdominal cavity.
- This makes it easier to view things on the inside because it helps separate your abdominal wall from your organs and makes organs more visible on the video monitor.
- This surgery utilises narrow tubes called trocars as ports for these surgical instruments, gas tubes, and laparoscopes.
- After the abdomen is inflated, the surgeon will remove the gas tube and place the laparoscope through the incision port.
- This laparoscope projects real-time video images of the surgical area into the video monitor.
- Other keyhole incisions will be made based on the type of surgical procedure. For example, laparoscopic surgery uses special long, narrow instruments designed to fit through the trocars.
Some laparoscopic surgical procedures may require the placement of the drainage tube inside the cavity to draw out excess fluid. This is done in cases of swelling. The fluid drains from a small tube. In certain conditions, the tube may remain inside even after the operation to drain out excess fluid. The other incisions will be sewn shut after the surgery. Of course, the gas will be released from your abdomen before the keyhole incision is closed.
Medical professionals will ensure your vital signs are stable before removing the IV and your breathing tube. Contact a laparoscopic surgeon in Jaipur to discuss more specifically about your laparoscopic procedure.
After the Procedure
- You will be moved to the postoperative room. Your vitals will still be monitored until you wake up from the anaesthesia.
- You will be prescribed pain medication. One common pain experienced is due to the remaining carbon dioxide, which is felt in the shoulder.
- This is because it triggers a nerve that causes pain in the shoulder. However, this is a routine process and will pass in a few days.
- Depending on the type of laparoscopic surgery and your body’s response, you may go home on that day or stay overnight.
- Your team of healthcare professionals will advise you on taking care of your wound. This will include changing bandages, taking care of the wound, and taking care of the drain if you have one.
You will also have to schedule a follow-up online doctor appointment with your laparoscopic surgeon in Jaipur before you leave. This is to check up on your incisions and remove the drain if you have one.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Surgery
Laparoscopic surgery has many benefits, especially when compared to traditional abdominal surgery. Some of these benefits are:
- Decreased blood loss due to smaller incisions.
- Smaller scarring and quicker healing.
- Shorter hospital stays.
- Reduced risk of infections because internal organs are not as exposed to external contaminants.
- Fine instruments cause less tissue damage and blood loss.
- Get back to everyday activities more rapidly.
- Less analgesia is required.
- The rate of postoperative complications such as cellulitis, incisional hernia, and dehiscence is lower.
- Since the surgery is done within the body cavity, it helps avoid drying, cooling, handling, and retracting internal organs associated with old-fashioned open surgery.
In conclusion, laparoscopic surgery is gaining popularity as it has so many more benefits when compared to traditional abdominal surgery. Therefore, if you are considering choosing one, we hope this article helped you get some clarity. It is a less invasive procedure, and surgery can be used to conduct numerous basic operations. For further advice, contact a laparoscopic surgeon in Jaipur. You can also use Bajaj Finserv Health to book an online doctor consultation to get better treatment for your condition.