How to Split PST File into Smaller Parts on Mac
PST is an Outlook data file that stores all the Outlook data like emails, calendars, notes, tasks, etc. The Outlook PST files come with a certain size limit or we can say Outlook has size limitations. The problem arises when we send and receive thousands of emails and the PST file reaches its limit. At that point, it is important to split PST file into smaller parts to protect the data from getting corrupted or to avoid slowing down MS Outlook.
In this article, we will share some straightforward methods to split large PST files into smaller parts. With this technique, you can protect your data from corruption. But before we jump into the solutions, let’s first look at some of the perks of dividing the PST files.
Reasons to Split PST File into Smaller Parts
Oversized PST files can cause performance issues in Outlook. To avoid this, it is better to break PST into smaller files. There are many other benefits of splitting large PST files. We have mentioned some of them down below.
- Splitting the large-sized PST files protects the files from corruption.
- It makes accessing the Outlook data easier when split into smaller parts.
- Dividing the PST files into smaller ones improves the searching and sorting process in Outlook.
- It enhances the workflow by increasing the overall performance of MS Outlook.
The aforementioned reasons state why splitting a PST file into smaller parts is better. In the next section, we will discuss the methods that will help users to divide the large PST files.
How do I split a large PST file into multiple smaller parts?
With the internet full of different solutions to split Outlook PST files, choosing the right method can be confusing. To make the work easier and avoid any confusion, we have shared some of the tested methods that can help to split large PST files.
#Method 1: A Manual Approach to Split Oversized PST Files
Perform the below-mentioned steps carefully to break large PST files on the Mac using MS Outlook.
- Open MS Outlook on your Mac computer.
- Go to the File Menu> New> Folder and create a new folder.
- Choose the desired PST file and select the mailbox item to split large PST files.
- Split the PST files by selecting files from the Inbox, Contacts, and Calendars folders.
- Right-click on the desired mailbox item and then select Move from the list.
- Tap on the newly created folder and move the selected PST files.
The manual method is a few clicks process but requires good technical knowledge to perform it successfully. There are many limitations to this method, which we’ll share in the next section.
Drawbacks of the Manual Technique
The above-mentioned manual approach is not an optimum solution to split PST file into smaller parts for the below-stated reasons:
- Splitting the large PST files using the manual approach can be time-consuming.
- This method does not allow the bulk splitting of multiple PST files.
- There are high chances of data loss during the splitting process.
- Using the manual approach, users cannot split the attachments separately.
- Data originality can be compromised during the splitting process.
To eliminate these drawbacks, many users prefer to go with a professional Mac PST Splitter Tool. This professional method helps split large PST files with accuracy and avoids any data alteration.
#Method 2: Expert Solutions to Split PST File into Smaller Parts
The MacSonik PST Splitter for Mac is a prominent and most opted solution to risk-free split large PST files. The various advanced and beneficial features of this software provide a secure split of PST files without a single data loss. This method provides different options to split PST into smaller files. Using this method, users can split both password-protected and non-password-protected PST files. It also allows users to select the desired size for splitting the PST files.
Steps to split PST file into smaller parts-
- Run the Macsonik PST Splitter Tool on your Mac device.
- Click on the Add file option, add the desired PST files, and click Open.
- Choose the desired splitting criteria to split the chosen PST files and then tap Next.
- Opt for the other useful features as per the requirements.
- Finally, hit the Split button to start the splitting process of the PST files.
Some Advantages of the Mac PST Splitter Tool
- This automated method helps to split Outlook PST files by year, date, size, etc.
- The PST Splitter Tool allows you to split PST files in bulk.
- Users can opt for the desired size for the resultant PST files.
- This method allows users to add passwords to the resultant PST files.
- It eliminates duplicate emails from the splitting process.
Also Read: How to compress PST files by reducing the size of PST emails
To prevent the Outlook data file from corruption, it is always preferable to split PST file into smaller parts. In this article, we have shared the ways to break PST files along with the reasons to make the work easier. Due to the limitations that come along with the manual method, choosing a professional approach is a much better choice. As the professional approach is less time-consuming and provides 100% accurate results.