If you’re planning a trip to Tbilisi, the capital city of Georgia, one of the best ways to explore its historic streets and stunning landscapes is by renting a car. With a rental car, you’ll have the freedom to explore the city at your own pace and venture out into the countryside to discover hidden gems that you might not have found otherwise.
In this article, we’ll explore some tips for renting a car in Tbilisi and some of the top sights to see while you’re there.
Tips for Renting a Car in Tbilisi
Before you rent a car in Tbilisi, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure you have a valid driver’s license from your home country or an international driver’s permit. You’ll also need to be at least 21 years old to rent a car in Georgia.
Second, choose a reputable rental car company. There are many companies that offer car rentals in Tbilisi, but not all of them are reliable. Do your research beforehand and read reviews from other travelers to find a reputable company that offers fair pricing and good customer service.
Third, familiarize yourself with the local driving laws and customs. In Georgia, you drive on the right-hand side of the road, and the speed limit is generally 60 km/h in urban areas and 90 km/h on highways. Be aware that driving in Tbilisi can be challenging due to narrow streets, heavy traffic, and aggressive drivers.
Top Sights to See in Tbilisi
Once you’ve rented your car, it’s time to hit the road and explore the sights of Tbilisi. Here are a few must-see destinations to add to your itinerary:
- Old Town: Start your journey in Tbilisi’s historic Old Town, where you can wander the narrow streets, admire the traditional architecture, and stop at cozy cafes and bars. Be sure to check out the Anchiskhati Basilica, the oldest surviving church in Tbilisi.
- Narikala Fortress: Take your rental car up the hill to the Narikala Fortress, an ancient fortress that overlooks the city. From here, you’ll have panoramic views of Tbilisi and the surrounding mountains.
- Mtatsminda Park: Drive to the top of Mount Mtatsminda and explore the amusement park, which features a Ferris wheel, roller coasters, and other rides. You’ll also find restaurants and cafes with stunning views of the city.
- Tbilisi Botanical Garden: Take a break from the city and visit the Tbilisi Botanical Garden, where you can explore over 4,500 plant species from around the world. The garden is a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city and a great spot for a picnic.
- Mtskheta: Hop in your rental car and drive 30 minutes outside of Tbilisi to the town of Mtskheta, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Here, you can visit the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral, one of the most important churches in Georgia, and the Jvari Monastery, a stunning example of medieval Georgian architecture.
Renting a car is one of the best ways to explore Tbilisi and the surrounding areas. With a rental car, you’ll have the freedom to explore the city at your own pace and discover hidden gems that you might not have found otherwise. Just remember to choose a reputable rental car company, familiarize yourself with the local driving laws, and stay safe on the road. Happy exploring!