Different Mural Scaling Techniques To Upscale Your Artwork
Be it for interior or exterior application, the mural has done so many wonders for the streets of Melbourne where it has appeared. For interior spaces, the artwork is an appealing option to decorate large walls, adding light and warmth to the entire area. For exterior places, it serves as a great medium to improve undeveloped locations, bringing some character or liveliness.
There are many mural scaling techniques used by wall mural artists in Melbourne to upscale their artwork and enhance the place. They help get the designs precisely and conveniently, attracting many viewers.
If you want to upscale your art using the different mural techniques, first learn how impactful they are. We are with this article to let you know about them in wide detail.
Know Different Types Of Mural Scaling Techniques
As the name implies, in this mural scaling technique, grids are used for tracing the designs from a piece of paper to an empty wall. This is the most inexpensive method that makes it easy to copy the entire mural design exactly on the walls in minute detail. Hence, the grid method is utilized by wall mural artists for sketching small-scale and large-scale artworks.
Let’s learn how the grid method makes the process of mural painting easy and quick:
- The first step is always the proper prepping and priming of the walls. It eases the sketching and maintains the quality of the designs for years.
- Then, work on the reference photo(the mural design you want to trace) using the painter’s tape and mark the grid lines. Be sure all the lines are correctly straight for which you can use a ruler.
- Now, draw the grids on the walls within the frame of those tape lines that are marked.
- Use the pencil for the light grid line drawing. Also, assure that the ratio of each grid on the reference photo and wall surface is equal.
- Next, design the image on the paper, scan it properly, and resize it if needed to make its size the same as of each grid. It will ease the tracing of the image with preciseness. For instance, if the grid measures 7 by 5 feet, then the reference photo must also measure the same.
- Trace the image on the surface of the walls, creating one block at a time.
- Once the entire design is traced, ease all the grid lines. Afterward, start coloring it using acrylic paints.
It is a great and affordable mural scaling technique that uses many stencil designs. You can customize any pattern to style any of your interior spaces. Learn how stenciling works:
- Choose the most suitable wall to paint appealing mural designs. For instance, floral designs will look more captivating on a sky-blue surface than on white.
- Now place the decided stencil design at the initial area of the walls. For fixing the stencil on the surface, use painter’s tape. Now, trace the design on the wall using the brush.
- You should go for the dry brush technique for the effective tracing of the mural. First, dip the tip of the paintbrush in the painting color and then wipe it off slightly using a paper towel to get rid of excess.
- Next, use the stippling method in which you need to dab the brush against the openings of the stencil designs.
- Avoid applying the paints over the openings of the stencil as it can cause splashing of the colors beneath it. Consequently, it can spoil the entire mural design.
- Mark all the focal points of the stencils on the wall surface using a pencil before repositioning it. It will facilitate the aligning and repetition of the design correctly.
- Repeat the same method until the complete design gets traced on the entire walls.
Stenciling is most suitable for interior applications. So, if you want to customize any kind of stencil design for your home, office, etc., do hire a mural artist with expertise in stenciling work. You can customize any design the way you like.
Transfer Paper Method
In this method, wall mural artists use a thin paper sheet placed between the picture you want and the surface where you wish to trace. Know how it helps enhance your artwork:
- Choose the mural design you want. Keep in mind, the size of the design must be exactly as you want as a final design. It is because you are tracing the entire mural directly on the wall surface.
- Begin with attaching the transfer paper with the coated side on the backside of the paper image you want to trace. Before starting the tracing process, make sure the design and transfer paper both are even and smooth.
- Next, use the painter’s tape and carefully fix transfer paper with the mural design on the wall surface.
- Now, trace the design with the help of the pencil with moderate pressure. Applying too much pressure can leave dark marks on the pencil and even in some cases ripening of the paper. On the other hand, if there is light pressure, there can be a possibility of no clear tracing of the design.
- Once the tracing process ends, remove the transfer paper and the picture and color the design.
It is a technology-based mural scaling technique that wall mural artists use for modern mural sketching. Basically, the overhead projector and transparent sheets are used to trace the mural design.
Know how it works:
- Decide on the mural design you want and make both its colored as well as black and white copy.
- Use the black and white copy of the image for creating a transparent picture with the help of the scanner.
- Then, place the transparent picture under the overhead projector. Do adjust the projector until you get the clear and exact size of the picture you want on the wall.
- Ensure that the overhead projector is angled properly, if it is not, it can change the right shape of the design.
- Once you set the projector correctly at the right angle, start outlining the picture on the wall surface with a light pencil.
- Next, use acrylic paints to color the design. Just as the entire paint dries, erase the pencil marks.
We hope our guide has helped you understand how you can use the different mural scaling techniques to upscale your artwork. Whatever mural design you want, you can trace them exactly and conveniently using all these techniques.
Undoubtedly, you can completely change the entire space by sketching appealing designs on the preferred surface.