Coorg Guide: A quick travel guide to this beautiful place
A Quick Guide to Coorg
Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is a stunning hill station located in the southwestern state of Karnataka in India. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country, boasting stunning natural beauty, a vibrant culture, and some of the best coffee in the world. Nestled among the Western Ghats, Coorg is the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and experience the beauty of nature.
The History of Coorg
The history of Coorg dates back centuries, and the region has been home to several different cultures and empires throughout its long history. It is believed that the first settlers arrived in Coorg in the fourth century BCE, and the region went on to be ruled by various dynasties and empires, including the Kadambas, the Cholas, the Hoysalas, the Vijayanagara Empire, and the Mysore Kingdom.
Coorg was annexed by the British in 1834 and became part of the Madras Presidency. It was later merged into the larger Mysore State, and in 1956, Coorg has declared an independent state. However, the demand for separate statehood was rejected, and Coorg was eventually merged into the state of Karnataka.
Geography and Climate
Coorg is situated on the slopes of the Western Ghats and is one of the highest-elevated districts in Karnataka. The region is surrounded by Kodagu and Dakshina Kannada districts in the north, Hassan district in the east, and Mysore district in the south and west. The district has an area of 4,102 km2 and an elevation of 900-1700m.
Coorg experiences a tropical monsoon climate, with hot and humid summers and mild to cool winters. The average temperature during summers is between 23-35 degrees Celsius and during winters, it is between 15-23 degrees Celsius. The region receives heavy rainfall during the monsoon season and the average annual precipitation is around 127 cm.
Places to Visit in Coorg
Coorg is home to several stunning tourist attractions, from picturesque hills and valleys to beautiful waterfalls and wildlife sanctuaries. Here are some of the best places to visit in Coorg:
- Iruppu Falls: Iruppu Falls is a stunning waterfall situated in the Brahmagiri hills. It is a popular spot for religious pilgrims, and visitors can enjoy the stunning views of the cascading waterfalls and the lush greenery around them.
- Dubare Elephant Camp: Dubare Elephant Camp is a popular tourist attraction in Coorg. Located on the banks of the river Kaveri, it is a popular spot for elephant lovers, and visitors can enjoy watching these majestic animals up close.
- Madikeri Fort: Madikeri Fort is a popular tourist attraction in Coorg. It was built by the Mysore kings in the 17th century and is a great spot to explore the history of Coorg.
- Talakaveri: Talakaveri is the source of the river Kaveri and is a popular pilgrimage site. It is surrounded by lush greenery and is a great spot to explore the natural beauty of Coorg.
- Nagarhole National Park: Nagarhole National Park is one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in India. It is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, and visitors can enjoy spotting animals such as the Bengal tiger, Asian elephant, leopard, and more.
- Omkareshwara Temple: Omkareshwara Temple is a popular Hindu temple situated in Madikeri. It is a great spot to explore the culture and traditions of Coorg.
– Drive from Bangalore to Coorg
- Check in and relax at the hotel
- Explore Raja’s Seat and Omkareshwara Temple
- Visit the Abbey Falls
– Go on an early morning trek to Talacauvery
- Visit the Bhagamandala Temple
- Take a boat ride in the Barapole River
- Relax at the Kushalnagar Monastery
– Visit the Iruppu Falls
- Explore the Nisargadhama Island
- Visit the Dubare Elephant Camp
- Trek to the Tadiandamol Peak
– Visit the Golden Temple
- Enjoy a picnic at the Nalknad Palace
- Go on a wildlife safari at the Nagarhole National Park
- Shop for local handicrafts and souvenirs
- Drive back to Bangalore
Things to carry
- Comfortable Clothing
- Mosquito Repellent
- Water Bottle
- Trekking Shoes
- Swimming Gear
- First Aid Kit
- ID Proofs (Aadhar Card/Passport/Driving License)
Coorg is a stunning hill station located in the southwestern state of Karnataka in India. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country, boasting stunning natural beauty, a vibrant culture, and some of the best coffee in the world. From picturesque hills and valleys to beautiful waterfalls and wildlife sanctuaries, Coorg is the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and experience the beauty of nature.
Checkout: More Awesome Content