An essential unit of any mechanism or machinery, gears are an integral part of an individual’s regularly used devices. Gears generate movement and power when interlocking, and therefore, it is essential that the production of gears is precise to directly improve the functionality of mechanisms and machines. To produce gears, the machinery that is required is either a gear shaper cutter or a gear hob cutter. The main difference between the two is that gears are produced by a shaper by cutting the teeth out one by one. On the other hand, the process of hobbing cuts a gear’s teeth at the same time because of the design of the machinery itself. There are several advantages of choosing gear hob cutters to produce high-quality gears.
Advantages of gear hobbing cutters
- Very efficient process – One of the main advantages of hobbing is that the teeth of the gear are cut at the same time, and not one by one. This allows for a smooth-functioning, assembly-line production that can be carried out continuously without interruption. If the producer wishes to enhance the efficiency more, then they can stack blank gears and then use hob cutters so that the gears are produced together in one go.
- Saves time and allows for mass production – Since the production process of gears through hobbing is very efficient, a large number of gears can be produced in a short period of time. This boosts the productivity of the business or individual and helps them generate more products at a quicker pace to keep up with demand. More output would allow the business to sell more and thus generate more profit.
- Lower cost of production – Due to the high efficiency and mass production of gears because of hobbing, the individual production cost of each unit reduces drastically. This increases the profit margin of the business and helps boost its cash flow and financial situation.
- Variation of hob cutters – The production of gears is not limited to a type of hob. With different designs, structures and sizes, a business can take advantage of the different variations of hob cutters to suit their preferences and requirements. All an individual needs to remember is to choose the right hob cutter for the type of gear they wish to produce.
- The precision of production – Last but not least, gear hobbing cutters offer great accuracy and precision in the manufacturing of gears. Since all the teeth of the gears are produced together, this automatically makes the dimensions very equidistant and boosts the functionality of the gear when installed within a mechanism or machine.
When considering the different ways to manufacture gears, one of the most advantageous methods, hobbing, is very beneficial to the business or individual producing the same. Not only do gear hob cutters increase the efficiency and productivity of the manufacturing process of gears, but they also enhance the quality of the product itself, therefore improving the functionality of the gears once they have been used in a mechanism.